This is the ultimate lazy person recipe! I make this whenever I don’t feel up to cooking or don’t have much time to prepare anything. What’s really great about it though, is that it tastes like you tried really hard (you didn’t) so it can be an impressive item to cook for having guests over or to cook at a summer BBQ.
I never used to enjoy eating chicken thighs… I was under the impression that any meat that wasn’t extremely lean was unhealthy. Fortunately for our tastebuds, we now know that eating animal fat when sourced from grass-fed, pastured, organic animals, is actually really healthy for us! If you want all of the science details on that, I really recommend the book Practical Paleo, 2nd Edition by Diane Sanfilippo.
Enough with boring nutritional talk. Let’s talk about how awesome it was that I got to go to the beach with a friend this past weekend. Everyone always assumes that when you live in Hawaii you’re constantly going to the beach but this just isn’t true at all. Sometimes I feel like I went to the beach more when I lived in Wisconsin and went on one winter trip to Mexico each year. That might be a slight exaggeration but not too far from the truth. You just don’t get around to it as much because you know it’s always there. I never remember to wear sunscreen because I assume that living here means I am suddenly blessed with beautiful bronzed skin, but then I am reminded of my Irish heritage when I end up as crispy as these chicken thighs. When will I learn?
Exciting news – I am officially down 15 pounds since I committed to eating Paleo back in March. I can finally fit in all my old clothes again for the first time in almost 3 years and my energy has finally began to return. It’s pretty crazy how crappy food can you mess you up so much. I’ll definitely share more about how I managed to get my health back and lose weight through this lifestyle. But for now, cook this recipe and impress your family with your great cooking skills!
Look at all those tasty ingredients!!
- 8 skin-on bone-in Chicken Thighs
- ⅓ cup organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup organic Dijon Mustard
- 3 tbsp raw organic Honey
- 3 tbsp dried Rosemary
- 2 tbsp dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place chicken thighs in a 9x13 pan, skin side up
- In a bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and stir until well combined
- Using a spoon, place a spoonful of the mixture underneath the skin of each chicken thigh, and pat down the skin to make sure the mixture gets spread around well underneath the skin
- Once this has been done to each thigh, flip them over on the other side and put a spoonful of the mixture on top of each thigh. This side shouldn't have any skin so you want the meat on this side to get the mixture as well
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 - 50 minutes, until the internal temperature reads at least 165 degees
Serve with some sautéed collard greens for a simple, nutritious dinner!