If you’re looking for a fun recipe to bring to a potluck, to serve as an appetizer at a party, or just for a creative dinner idea, these Paleo Pomegranate Orange BBQ Meatballs are it!!! When I made these Pomegranate Orange BBQ Meatballs for dinner the other night my husband could not stop talking about how much he loved that it was a little out of the norm from regular dinners since you eat them with sticks. It’s funny how just a small change from our daily routine like that can really add some excitement to our life.
This recipe uses pomegranate and orange juice which can both be easily purchased from the grocery store, or feel free to make your own like me. To make the pomegranate juice, seed one pomegranate, throw the seeds in a blender and blend for 30 seconds, and run through a mesh strainer. That’s it. And I’m pretty sure you know how to squeeze an orange! I had extra time on my hands this day and thought it would be fun to make my own juice but buying your juice will save you time if you’re in a crunch.
Also, try something new and use bison with these pomegranate orange meatballs like I did, it gives it a more flavor and a deeper texture. I’ve noticed it’s getting easier to find more obscure meats like bison at the grocery store lately which is totally awesome because bison isn’t as largely produced as beef so it’s less likely to be conventionally fed and farmed. But as always, make sure to check your labels!
Speaking of time crunch – feel free to make these meatballs in a slow cooker instead of the oven. You can still brown on the stovetop first, and then jus throw in a slow cooker for 4 hours.
- 1 Tbsp ghee or grassfed butter
- ½ cup pomegranate juice (I made my own using a fresh pomegranate)
- ½ cup orange juice (I made my own from 3 squeezed oranges)
- ¼ cup raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp raw organic honey
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- salt to taste
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 Tbsp ghee or grassfed butter
- 1 pound italian sausage
- 1 pound grassfed beef or bison (I used bison)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Toothpicks or kebab sticks for serving
- Creamy Goat Cheese Dip
- Couple pinches of dill weed
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together until well combined.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee or grassfed butter in a 12 inch sauce pan. Once the ghee/butter is melted, add the sauce to the pan.
- Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 10 minutes and then remove from heat. Set aside to use for meatballs.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the italian sausage with the beef or bison, the diced yellow onion, the garlic powder and the salt. Use your hands to thoroughly mix.
- Roll mixture into bite size balls using your hands and set aside.
- Heat up the ghee or butter in a 14" sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs to the pan and brown on each side for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to the 9x13 baking dish.
- Spoon the Pomegranate Orange BBQ sauce over the top of the meatballs. Place in the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately with toothpicks or kebab sticks, and Creamy Goat Cheese Dip sprinkled with dill weed.